[OM] Olympus Throws down the Gauntlet

Subject: [OM] Olympus Throws down the Gauntlet
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:03:54 -0700
A bit of news

Olympus hopes to gain 15 percent share in Japanese DSLR market
Olympus Corp., Tokyo, Japan, is aggressively promoting its DSLRs for
the summer season in Japan, reports JPEA International PEN News
Weekly. The company held an opening reception on June 21 for the
"Women Photos with the E410" photo exhibition that displays works of
known female pro photographers.
   In his opening address, Toshiaki Gomi who heads the digital camera
business for Olympus noted: "We made a TV commercial for the E410
intentionally excluding technical data as we wanted women in general
to use the DSLR. And it apparently worked as the ratio of women users
of the E410 is five to six times higher than that of other DSLR
models. We feel confident that the E410 is the right camera for women."
   At an unofficial party for reporters from trade magazines after
the event, an Olympus executive confided: "We want to change the DSLR
market in the immediate future to be 70 percent for Nikon and Canon,
15 percent for Olympus, and 15 percent for the rest."
   He also mentioned that advance orders are coming in for the E510
model with blur-reduction feature, which debuted in Japan in late
June. According to PEN News Weekly, the promotion campaign for the
model started July 6.

A couple more bits:

Nikon has extended its warranty for cameras in the UK to 2 years. You
lucky guys.

Canon lost its DSLR lead in Japan to Nikon for the past six months.
Probably will change when Canon has some new low priced cameras. The
horse race as of May this year is Nikon 48%, Canon 35%, Pentax 7%,
Olympus 6%, Sony 2.6%. Wonder what Oly has up its sleeve, a $600 E-3?
Or do they think that publicly patronizing statements towards women
will gain them a lot of customers?

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA