[OM] Re: Seeking beginner/intermediate level book recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Seeking beginner/intermediate level book recommendations
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 07:45:03 EDT

In a message dated 7/16/2007 5:03:41 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
nilsf@xxxxxxx writes:

a few  days ago I was asked for good books on said level of  photography.

A couple of suggestions:

"Photography"  by Barbara London - This is the "bible" and in my  opinion,
has a place in any library of a serious student of photography.   It is a
little
pricey at around $100, however they can be found used for much  less.  The
8th edition is the current one and I saw a mint edition of the  7th edition at
Half Price Books in San Marcos for $30 a week ago.  The  seventh edition will
be fine, if you find one.  This book is used as the  text for many basic
photography classes.

"Understanding Exposure" revised edition, by Bryan Peterson - This
relatively short (166 pages), extremely well illustrated book, is one most
would gain
a great deal from reading.  It is written in an easy to  understand manner,
which means there is a high likelihood of its being  read.  It doesn't just
cover exposure, as the name implies.  A better  title might be, "Creative
imaging
through intelligent use of your camera  controls." I know that wouldn't sell
books and it is IMHO is a better  description.  The photographs he uses to
illustrate his concepts  are spectacular and should get anyone thinking outside
their box. This one  retails at $24.95 and is well worth it. Although not as
technical and broad  in scope, it would be my first choice if I only had $30 to
spend.

I use both of these in the basic photo class I teach.

Bill Barber