[OM] medium format

Subject: [OM] medium format
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:11:45 -0500
Not everyone is in agreement here, but I am a Hasselblad owner, and very
pleased. I've been a commercial and industrial photographer almost
continously since 1970, and it's the best I've found.

I've also used the RB67 (the RZ and the newer lenses solved many of the
problems I had with the RB) and it is, although we used it hand held, really
a tripod camera. I've also used the Bronica 645 (it was very unreliable, but
it was the very first version) and for a very short time, a Kowa 6. It had
so much mirror slap that it was useless under 1/30th.

The Hasselblad has great lenses, is divinely modular in construction, and is
easily used both hand held and on a tripod. Although some don't understand
the 6x6 format, it is ideal for commercial and editorial use, as it allows
the art director to crop in a variety of ways.

Sadly, the prices have fallen on all but the SWC and the 40mm, one of which
would like to be my last film purchase. You can get a fairly recent example
with a good lens for what I paid for a simple 80.

I would probably avoid the C lenses, as parts may be, at least temporaily a
problem. You should also get one of the A backs (A12, 16 etc.) I would avoid
the 220 backs as film is getting limited.

As far as operating one-handed, if this means totally without a second hand,
I fear you will have problems. If the prosthesis provides some
functionality, then you can probably develop some sort of routine. The 'blad
can be held with the left hand and operated almost exclusively with the
right. You may find a 500 ELM or ELX an advantage. There are pistol grips
for a number of MF cameras, but they may not be that easy to find. Loading a
Hasselblad back single handed could be possible. If you were to confine
yourself to Fuji film, they have a clever arrangement of a hole in the
tounge of the paper backing and a hook on the spool that makes loading
easier. Since you will likely shoot fewer frames with a MF camera, a number
of extra backs may pay well, allowing you to load in the privacy of your
home.

Bill Pearce