[OM] Re: Advice please- stage photography

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice please- stage photography
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:14:21 -0700
Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> I have heard other people sing the praise of the Fujis, and I did look
> at them briefly, but was completely turned off by the absence of a RAW
> mode. According to the specs, the new 40 has JPEG only. This is simply
> unacceptable to me.

The thing is, it's not as big a deal as on many cameras. The WAY the
JPEG processing is done, together with the amazingly low noise at lower
isos, even in deep shadow, means that converting to 16 bit first, then
using tools like Shadow/Highlight and Brightness/Contrast, it's not hard
to open up the bottom and get much better usable dynamic range than with
many other digicams without any tonal oddness.
Even at higher isos, it works rather well. I do shoot RAW exclusively on
the 5D and 300D before it.

These were all shot at the Cloisters in Manhatten. some had good light,
but most had dim to dimmer light. There is one example of flash vs.
none, which got me yelled at. This is all with the F10, which isn't as
good at low light as the F30. http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Cloisters/

Also with the F10, http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Iron4/.  The bear
and first two cabbages on the first page have full pixel sample crops.
Most of the later ones were taken in light rain under heavy tree cover.
Again, there is one example of flash vs. none.

OK, enough selling. I don't really mean to try to sell. I just get
enthusiastic when I find something that expands my photographic
possibliities ;-)

Moose