[OM] Re: 6x6cm contact print

Subject: [OM] Re: 6x6cm contact print
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 23:37:51 -0700
Jan Steinman wrote:
>> From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Khen's images are here:
>> <http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/House 200dpi.jpg>
>> <http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/House 300dpi.jpg>
>> <http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/House 600dpi.jpg>
>>

> First off, flat tonality. Go into your favorite photo editor (I use
> Aperture for about 90% of what I used to do in Photoshop these days)
> and set "auto levels". There are variations of this; for a monochrome
> you probably want the one that normalizes the data in all three
> channels separately.
>
> Another thing to consider if it's a low-priced scanner is to discard
> the blue channel. It's always the worst, and is progressively worse
> on cheaper scanners. I'd use a "channel mixer" to do that job. Map
> the output to grayscale, set the green and red channels at 100%, and
> set the blue channel to 0%.

Ah, c'mon, Jan! Those simplistic fixes are less than what a family
heirloom deserves.

Did you take a look at the results, or just pull out generic formulas to
drop on someone who might just believe your expertise and accept that
that's the best that can be done?

Here's the results of using your recommendations:
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/KhenLim/JS/HouseJ.htm

Beyond the awful, washed out, tonal distribution of the Channel Mixer +
sharpen approach, I simply prefer keeping some of the tint as a
connection to time, place and memories of the original print.

Auto Levels + sharpen is a lot better, but it drops the nice, open
tonality of the house itself, the central 'character' of the image, and
the adjacent trees to left and above, so far down into shadow that the
detail from the original largely disappears. And no, I did not dodge or
burn.

Moose