[OM] Re: 6x6cm contact print

Subject: [OM] Re: 6x6cm contact print
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 20:40:54 -0700
> From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> My dad has a B+W contact print (6x6cm) but he doesn't have the
> negative. He's looking at trying to reproduce it at the highest
> resolution... He claims to have tried scanning but it's not too
> good. If we're going to do a direct reprography, using say the
> E-510 (or other DSLR), how do you think we should approach this?

If scanning isn't good, I think reflection might be an issue. I'd use
crossed polarizers for shooting it, and manual metering, set by a
flash meter.

This means you put a polarizer on the lens, and a separate one on the
flash that is set 90 degrees away from the one on the flash. I use
flexible sheet polarizer that I cut with scissors to fit various
flashes, but you can probably use a regular screw-on polarizer with
some duct tape.

Getting exposure right can be tricky. I use a flash meter with a
polarizer on it, but with a digital, you can probably do trial-and-
error and come up with the right exposure.

:::: Someone budgeted a "$40,000 rainwater catchment system" -- we
call that a "roof" where I come from! ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.EcoReality.org ::::