[OM] Re: 6x6cm contact print

Subject: [OM] Re: 6x6cm contact print
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 09:27:41 +0100
Khen's images are here:
<http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/House 200dpi.jpg>
<http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/House 300dpi.jpg>
<http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/House 600dpi.jpg>

--
Piers

-----Original Message-----
From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of khen lim
Sent: 04 July 2007 08:31
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx

Here are two scans of the same photo; one in 200dpi and the other in 300dpi.
We're not talking about any high-tech scanner here. In fact this was the HP
ScanJet model that I bought for him a while ago but the humid conditions in
Malaysia are simply awful. The glass platen is now scaly. If you look
closely enough you see something that looks like a loose black thread
webbing itself throughout the platen. Fading into the background is a
greyish web-like scaling as well. It's discouraging and disheartening but
that's the only scanner I have to use.

In my next posting, I'll attach a 600dpi version of the same photo. You can
have a look at any of them.

I also did a 1200dpi scan and then applied a bit of sharpening but not too
much. From that one I made a print to check it out. It wasn't too bad but it
isn't anything to write home about. The depth in the image was missing in
the printout.

Thanks

K.

On 03/07/07, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> AG Schnozz wrote:
> >> It's not lustre. It's not matte. It's gloss but paper-based as
> >> opposed to PE-based paper.
> >>

> > Ah, that's the problem. Fiber-glossy does not flatbed scan very well.
> > I'd suggest a copy-stand with a DSLR.
> >
> Are we talking about the same things here? Khen asked about an old 6x6
> contact print from a Brownie. My experience is that flatbed scanning
> can capture everything that's on that sort of print.
>
> Look at the third example in the sample I posted.
> http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Scan/Scan6x7/Tootle.htm
>
> I had no trouble at all capturing the whole, rather limited, dynamic
> range of the print. And 600 dpi is enough to bring up the detail of
> the grain, whatever combo of film/print grain it may be. What else is
> there to capture with a camera? I may try out  the 5D on it, just for
> curiosity, when my copy stand comes back from loan to a friend, but
> I'm sort of stumped as to what else it might find.
>
> >> We're talking about the Sixties here, Chuck.
> >>
> Well, maybe that's part of it? My sample is from 1946.
>
> Moose

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: House 200dpi.jpg

-- Type: image/jpeg