[OM] Re: New list member - intro

Subject: [OM] Re: New list member - intro
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 02:00:14 -0700
Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Nathan, and welcome!

> Finally, I invite you to visit my websites (see signature block for URLs).

One of the benefits or pitfalls of posting your images to this list is
that this fellow, Moose, has a tendency to critique them as to tonal
distribution, contrast, etc. by posting alternate versions. He's easy
enough to deal with. If you don't like him messing about in your images,
just tell him to stop, ask politely, yell, curse, whatever - on or off list.

I browsed through the first link to your images, Sunday market at
Waterloo, and found a great deal to like. Your are certainly a better
street photographer than I. Among many I liked, I think "Old and New" is
my favorite, although "Taking Stock" tugs at me.

As to the actual presentation on the web, IMHO, you do your wonderful
images a bit of a disservice. A number of the images that appear to be
lit by direct sun from behind the camera still have a veiled quality,
almost like light, overall flare. It takes a little of the strength out
of the bright colors and sharp contrasts of a flea market in the sun.

A clear example might be "Taking Stock". Although the shadows are deep
elsewhere, on the cabinet doors and mirror they are very light, like a
reflector or fill flash was being used.

Anyway, I've done some alternate views of a few to show what I mean,
rather than talking about the impossible to describe. Keep in mind that
I tend to go to an extreme to illustrate a point. If these were my
images, I might well end up with something between the two versions
shown. I often process one of my images, then let it sit and stew for a
while before going back to it again.

The right and left keyboard arrows should navigate through the images,
so you may easily flip back and forth between versions.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Wajsman/Comparison/album/index.html

Moose