[OM] Summer shots and two questions

Subject: [OM] Summer shots and two questions
From: "Lukasz Grabun" <lgrabun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:53:34 +0200
I have been playing with Kodak slides recently and have to tell I am
impressed with results. Even on expired Kodak Elitechrome I got shots
with decent colour definition and more than satisfying sharpness.
Pictures from last Sunday are here, if you care:

http://grabun.com/zdjecia/lato/

(Fifth image is dedicated to geebee, if he does not mind, of course :-)

Now, back to business, here are two questions I've been puzzling my
mind with recently:

[1]. Take a look at forementioned fifth image
http://grabun.com/zdjecia/lato/05.html

It was taken with OM-2n on Kodak E100VS; OM-2n has no exposure lock
which would come handy in a picturized scene. Manual mode is somewhat
flowed in my camera so I had to bracket in orded to get a good
exposure. First shot was taken in full auto with no compensation at
all. The frame looks pretty good, the dynamic range of a scene
overpasses the range of a slide so some parts are underexposed and few
minor spots are washed out. For the second frame I used +0,6EV to
compensate for bright clouds that could tricked the camera's
lightmeter. As it turned out, it was not the case. The slide is
slightly overexposed which pretty confused me. Third picture was taken
with -0.3EV compensation and I am not pretty sure why I actually took
it as it made no sense to me. But, actually, it's the pictured I
linked to above as it shows most detail with just a small patches of
underexposed areas.

Would someone enlighten me what is wrong with my thinking and why did
the camera metered the light the way it did?

[2]. The second question is on GND. How do you use one? According to
what I've made up it should go as follows: use spotmeter to expose for
darker foreground, compensate as much as needed, lock exposure, place
filter against the lens, make a picture. Am I correct?

--
Lukasz Grabun
http://www.grabun.com/