[OM] OT: A1 sensor corruption

Subject: [OM] OT: A1 sensor corruption
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:15:34 -0400
It has been about 3 years since I bought my Mynolta A1.  Just as I was
beginning to think it was immune from the dreaded Sony sensor corruption
problem it suddenly reared its head.  But it's very intermittent.
Anyhow, I did manage to capture two images showing the problem and
included prints of same in the box sent off to Sony's repair center in
Laredo, TX.  No doubt it's somewhere on the other side of the Rio Grande
by now.  Not likely that any US citizen is part of the hands-on repair
process at that address.

I'll postpone judgment on the actual repair until the camera comes back
but the process so far is a fairly class act.  After filling in some
basic data at Sony's web site you are sent an email with links to a UPS
shipping label in the form of a PDF file plus links to a receipt file
and a list of nearby UPS drop off stations.  After a 20 minute walk down
to the local "Pack & Ship" store it was on its way.

The only real problem, of course, is that I didn't discover the problem
until I went to use the camera.  With its "anti-shake", tiltable real
time view LCD and close focusing macro mode it's a great little hand
held macro camera.

Chuck Norcutt