[OM] Re: Questions about Dynamic Range

Subject: [OM] Re: Questions about Dynamic Range
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:03:47 -0600
Moose wrote:

[snip]

 > ...the E-1 has a 14 bit A/D converter, I
> believe, vs. the 12 bit more common in other cameras and in all the
> other E-thingies so far. That might imply that it was designed to
> produce greater dynamic range.

Possibly -- but the published specs for all the RAW files produced by
the E-1, E-410 and E-510 claim that they're 12-bit RAW files.  Extra
info may be used in pre-processing, but it's ultimately being "thrown
away" (though I admit freely that such disposal might take place after
the extra info's been used to do some pretty *keen* pre-processing).

[snip]

> I don't think it matters much for many subjects, but I was recently
> photographing waterfalls in deep woods with dappled sunlight. Huge
> brightness range and one can't bracket and combine exposures, since the
> water is ever changing. And a fairly high iso is necessary for shots
> that stop the water and have decent DOF. Here, a camera with a higher
> inherent dynamic range capability is going to allow better results.

Yep.  Part of the reason I'm thinking of also getting the successor to
the 5D.  (Astrophotography would be another reason, as well as
high-resolution studio portraits of human faces for a long-term project
I'm working on.)

> If it makes you feel any better, the K10D is about the same as the E-410.

No, but thanks anyways.  ;-)

Garth