[OM] Questions about Dynamic Range

Subject: [OM] Questions about Dynamic Range
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:33:43 -0600
I have a question for the assembled Wise Ones.

On various occasions, it has been intimated that the new Panasonic
sensor in the E-410/510 (and possibly others, dunno) is inferior to the
old Kodak sensor found in the E-1 for several reasons, one of them being
that the new sensor doesn't have the dynamic range of the old one.

What is the basis for this claim?  From what I can see from the
published specs, all three cameras produce 12-bit RAW files, and I was
under the (possibly erroneous) impression that the bit-depth of the RAW
file was a more-or-less reliable indicator of the dynamic range of the
captured image.

Is this correct?  What am I missing?

Garth