[OM] Re: 21mm lens hood

Subject: [OM] Re: 21mm lens hood
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 15:34:20 -0700
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
>  ... The hood went rather cheap and seems it will stay in England.
> I tend to convince myself that I don't need one, because it would make
> me difficult to use my polarizer when the hood is clamped on.
Sorry that excuse isn't good enough.  :-)   The 21/3.5 hood is shallow
enough that it is easy to adjust a polarizer with the hood mounted.
also, as a slip-on hood that clamps to the front of the lens itself, it
doesn't move the filter forward, which would certainly cause vignetting.

Mounting both polarizer and hood could be difficult, depending on the
particular polarizer. I have two 49 mm polarizers, both Hoya, one an old
linear model and the other a recent circular polarizer.

With the old one, the rear part, which screws into the lens threads, is
knurled, and is too large to allow the hood to slip over it. so the hood
must be mounted first, then the pol and getting the rear part tightened
to the lens is slightly difficult, although my thumbnails are long and
strong enough to do it. Taking it off is easy, release the hood and pull
it forward while turning. It grabs the pol and unscrews it.

The new one has the front section knurled and the knurled part is of
smaller diameter than the other, so mounting is a snap; mount pol, slip
hood over pol and secure to lens.

I do think, however, that post processing is a generally better way to
control sky color with super wide lenses than a polarizer, which
generally has an uneven effect.

Moose