[OM] Re: E-510 First Impressions

Subject: [OM] Re: E-510 First Impressions
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:12:54 -0400
That's correct, though it does work mostly okay. The Auto exposure
feature gives some squirrely results, though. <g> But I also loaded
up Studio v2 trial off the CD, and the files don't look any better
there, either.

I'm hard pressed to suspect I got a defective unit, but I have done
some pixel peeping between E-1 ORF files and E-510 ORF files and the
E-1 files definitely are sharper. There is a "Detail" feature in ACR
that offers some improvements to the image, but still, overall, it's
not looking too good.

You have to figure if you're using the 14-54 at 41mm, ISO 100 at f/11
at 1/80 with IS on, you ought to get a damned sharp picture with
plenty of DOF. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I can work it so
it appears nearly acceptable, but I know it isn't close to the kind
of sharpness I would expect from my E-1.

--Bob

I shot a bunch more this afternoon with the noise feature off, and
ISO set to a hard number  rather than auto.