[OM] Caithness

Subject: [OM] Caithness
From: Brian Gray <brian.gray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:10:22 +0100

Simon Worby quoted John Hudson who wrote:

 > The Head is on my travel plan list. My mother was born at Watten which
is
 > mid way between Wick and Thurso and about 15 miles south of the Head.
and said
<It's an amazing part of the country. Barren and beautiful. And the
beaches are simply amazing -- but unless you're a masochist it's simply
too cold to sunbathe (sun, what sun?) or swim up there at any time of
the year.>
        Not always quite that bad.  I remember arriving in Thurso nearby one
sunny August weekend with the beaches covered by sunbathers (not
swimming in the sea mind!). However, leaving work about 4am a couple
of weeks later we had to scrape the ice off our car windscreens.
        And the winds can be strong too, as I once found to my cost when
cycling 60 or so miles eastwards from Tongue to Castletown on a summer's day.
        But plenty of light in the late evening for photography!
Brian