[OM] Re: 2-series screen newbie question

Subject: [OM] Re: 2-series screen newbie question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:45:49 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Finally obtained a black 4T to add to the stable of the OM2 / 2N and am very
> pleased ? ;-)) as well to obtain a 2-13 screen.? May get it scribed for use
> with the 35 shift--my wife likes that one for her architectural shots and I
> suspect she will appreciate/require the brighter VF.? Ran across a couple
> posts in the archives regarding the possible weird bokeh and possible trouble
> with this screen's use for Macro.?
Boy, my eyes must be different. I just don't notice any of that. One of
my OM-4 bodies has a 1-13 and the other a 2-13 and most of the time, I
don't know which is which. the vast majority of time, I simply focus
with relative ease and shoot. I'm not sure why I should care about bokeh
on a focusing screen, as it has nothing much to do with what will show
up on the film.

In macro/close-up situations, I often work the focus through from the
farthest to nearest points I care about and set it in the middle, so
I've spent a lot of time looking at unfocused areas. and again,
sometimes with a 1 and sometimes a 2 screen. It's never been an issue
for me in practice.
> Moose also mentioned yesterday that the 1-series is better below a fl of
> 28mm.?? Can't think of any better place but this list to ask about the
> bokeh/macro issues and use with the 21 f2.? Given the # of years that have
> elapsed since the posts, suspect this may be a? bit of a rehash--- my
> apologies in that case.? Thanks for any comments.

I was really mostly warning about Beattie screens. I got one as an
unexpected bonus (or so I thought) with an OM-1 I bought. One day, I
realized that it was really hard to focus a WA I was using and went
through to find out what was wrong. I put the lens (21/3.5??) on another
body and things were fine, which pointed to the screen. I switched to a
1 series and all was well.

It's been some time now, but my recollection was that when I got down to
21 or 18 mm, the 1 series was slightly better in poor light, low
contrast, etc.. But it's nowhere like the big difference between the
Beattie and either of the Olys.

Sure you aren't just looking for things to fret about until you can use
the stuff? :-)

Moose