[OM] Re: Manual Focusing Issues with DSLRs?

Subject: [OM] Re: Manual Focusing Issues with DSLRs?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:49:52 -0700
This did not start with DSLRs actually. The shift to so called bright
screens started with film cameras with AF and even cameras like the
OM3T which used a semisilvered mirror to allow light to be deflected
to the meter in the bottom of the mirror box. You can do a search for
old comments on third party bright screens in film cameras and see
the complaints about the difficulty of focusing compared to ground
glass screens. There seems to be a compromise between brightness and
focus ability that is drawn differently by different manufacturers.

A number of people have gone to the Katz Eye solution. I am sure
those that have will offer their experience. It is kind of ironic
that earlier, people dumped their 1-13 screens with focusing aids for
more accurate full ground glass screens while now the screens with
aids provide the most accuracy for manual focus.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA