[OM] Re: Why I feel like a freaking idiot sometimes

Subject: [OM] Re: Why I feel like a freaking idiot sometimes
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:20:35 -0600
Bob Whitmire wrote:
> So I got some new software for writing web sites. I even got a new
> domain because I'm thinking of a radical new approach in the site.
> (More on that later, as it develops.) Because I'm on a Mac, and using
> a Mac-dedicated web authoring tool, I wrote a potential host provider
> to ask whether I should avail myself of their Windows server or their
> Linux server.

  As far as I know, the only time this ever makes any difference is in
two cases:

  1. You're using Frontpage on Windows; in that case, there's special
magic that can make it easier to upload sites to web servers, if the web
server is Windows and has the magic bits installed at that end. Not
applicable to you, I suspect.

  2. The web site you want is dynamic (ie, generates its own pages on
the fly). In this case, it depends on the web site software (not web
_design_ software) you're using, and then the language the web site
software uses has to be available on the type of server you choose.

  For instance, the photo gallery software I'm using is written in PHP,
so looking at the lists you had, I'd have to go for the Linux server. If
it was written in ASP.Net, I'd have to go for the Windows server.

  So it mostly depends on what the web site design software you're using
will be creating. If it just creates plain HTML + images, it doesn't
matter -- any web server can handle that. If it creates dynamic pages,
you need a server that matches those.

  Without knowing more what software you'll be using on the Mac, it's
impossible to say which you'll need -- but as others have said, it would
be flabbergasting if Mac software were to create Windows-specific output..

  -- dan