[OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 12:58:13 +0200
On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 08:42:23PM -0700, Jay Drew wrote:
> I read Moose's post to mean that you take a shot of an IT8 target with the
> negative film, not that there is an IT8 target source as a negative film.

Missing out on the rest of the thread, I just wanted to note that this
method is a bit flawed IMO. The problem is that you won't get CN's
dynamic range filled up with a single reflective IT8 target (for flatbed
scanners, e.g.).

With this method you can only measure a certain interval of your CN
film. There are two things you can do now:

Either you assume your subject lies within the intensity range of
the IT8 target. You simply cut off the blacks and whites of all your
subsequent shots, loose that shadow/highlight detail, but gain color
accuracy.

Or you take various exposures of the target, with different
shutter/aperture settings, resulting in several shots ranging over the
entire dynamic range of your film. You can now calculate a color profile
for the full dynamic range.

Nils