[OM] Re: [OT] for all you musicians

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] for all you musicians
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 15:54:42 -0500
On 6/7/07, Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/7/07, Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > 30 years will not come again for me either, Richard.  Let me ask:  are
> > you familiar with Qbase?  I am using the LE version right now with a
> > digital mixer and my laptop.  I have much to learn but sometimes the
> > results are pretty dang good.  Am I wasting time with this software
> > that would better be spent learning Linux and Ardour2?
>

> Hi Joel,
>
> No, I'm not familiar with Qbase nor the pro apps Paul mentioned.  I also
> don't have any clue as to how Ardour compares in features and quality to
> those apps.  I doubt you're wasting your time with your existing setup
> though It might be worth your effort to explore with Ubuntu and Ardour or
> Ubuntu Studio that includes Ardour2.  Can't beat the price. :)
>
> Richard

OK, thanks.  Cubase (Paul's spelling is correct) in the LE version
came with my hardware, so the price is good there too.  Based on what
the LE version does, I can't imagine what the big version would
entail.  It would help if I'd had some experience in a real studio,
since the capabilities and features of the program are appear to be
analogous.  I have a lot to learn and I learn too intermittently to
learn well.

One nice feature is that I can play my LPs into my mixer and then burn
them to CD or put them on my IPod.  Not my preferred way to listen to
LPs, but last time I checked I wasn't able to play them in my car or
on an airplane, so I soldier on. :)

Joel W.