[OM] Re: [OT] for all you musicians

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] for all you musicians
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 13:40:45 -0500
Joel Wilcox wrote:

>> I imagine for the cost of a decent computer, a pro audio card (M-Audio or
>> RME Hammerfall) to provide 16 or more balanced inputs and a collection of
>> decent microphones one could have a wonderful studio at a fraction of what
>> it cost 30 years ago. With the money saved, energy could then be put into a
>> well designed studio space, a small control room with close field monitoring
>> and possibly a third space set up for just post mix listening with a nice
>> set of monitors (favorites used to be Urei Time Aligns).  Oh, if I was just
>> 30 years younger. :)
>>
>> Richard
>
> 30 years will not come again for me either, Richard.  Let me ask:  are
> you familiar with Qbase?  I am using the LE version right now with a
> digital mixer and my laptop.  I have much to learn but sometimes the
> results are pretty dang good.  Am I wasting time with this software
> that would better be spent learning Linux and Ardour2?

I don't think so.  I use Ensoniq's Paris system myself, but I hang out
online with a bunch of guys who use a variety of apps. Several of them
use Cubase.

Based on what I know about Ardour, it's come a long way in recent years,
but it's still not quite up to apps like Logic or Cubase or Nuendo.
It's interesting to watch the development of Ardour, but I don't believe
it's quite ready to go head-to-head yet.  I could be wrong, though.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon