[OM] (OT) ? For Canyon Shooters

Subject: [OM] (OT) ? For Canyon Shooters
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:56:01 -0400
In the aforementioned patrol of various other discussion boards, I
also found huge numbers of posts from Canyon users in which they
bemoan the poor QC of Canyon, even the high-end stuff. These people
talk about ordering and then sending back multiple copies of superior
L glass, such as the 16-35 Mark II, the 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, and even
the new 1DsMark III body that's getting otherwise rave reviews.

I saw a lot of what I suspected was behavior Moose occasionally talks
about, i.e., fumblefingered users who don't have a clue you can't
shoot 200mm handheld at f/2.8 and 1/5 of a second and not get a
"soft" image. But there were enough of the rants and complaints that
I felt obliged to ask the Canyon folks on this forum (which is a
paragon of polite discourse) whether they ever had sent back multiple
copies of Canyon products, or knew anyone who did--that is, anyone
who did who also demonstrably knew the different between an f-stop
and a bus stop. I did not see all this talk about sending stuff back
on the Nikon or Olympus dpreview groups.

Surely Canyon's QC isn't that shabby? Perhaps I'd better stop reading
other Internet groups and stick with this one, regardless of what
kind of gear I deploy. And to those of you whom I have "spoken"
sharply in the past, my most abject and humble apologies. I'd rather
eat goose shit than be identified with the variety of rude-nicks who
post elsewhere.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com