[OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side

Subject: [OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side, another one !
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 18:13:31 -0700
Manuel Viet wrote:
> Well, just for the sake of it, here is my first true test picture with the
> pentax :
>
> http://perso.orange.fr/m-viet/bw-roses.jpg
>
> This is a 1:1 crop of the full picture, shot in raw mode, converted with
> dcraw, and post processed in the gimp to 'look like' a traditional bw
> picture. I noticed too late that I've been over-zealeous in cutting the high
> lights, but believe me, the original picture has no burnt spots.
Nice subject and composition of the crop. For my taste, the actual lost
highlights aren't so much an issue as the overall distribution of the
tonality. Almost everything is "way up high" (You have to imagine the
high, squeaky voice.)

I much prefer it with more tonal detail visible in the petals. Quite a
bit may be done simply by moving the center slider in Levels to the
right, but I prefer something more sophisticated.

http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/VietParis/bw-roses.htm

Yes, I did a little sort of quick and dirty patching of the really blown
spots. At least it keeps them from calling attention to themselves.

As I'm discovering in my new computer odyssey, how my version appears
will depend a lot on how bright your monitor is. The original appears a
little high-key and lacking tonal detail in the highlights, but not
unpleasant on one monitor and the altered version is a little low key.
On the other, the original is a little hard on the eyes and the
alternate is delicious - to my eyes.

Moose