[OM] Re: Favorite desiccant?

Subject: [OM] Re: Favorite desiccant?
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 16:07:09 -0400
Best and cheapest way in the tropics is to get an ice chest, (igloo) or what
ever. Put in your
gear in tuppaware sealable plastic boxes, or zipup bags. Run a small, low
voltage power cord
and lightbulb with a dial down power switch through the drainage hole at the
bottom of the
ice chest. Seal it with silicone. It works wonders. The light bulb keeps away
the humidity and
the ice chest with the lid down tight will keep everything dry and fungus free.
For extra
measure use plenty of silica gel in the independent plastic boxes or bags.
Worked perfectly in
Costa Rica where its always humid and the rain never stops.

    http://www.lightstalkers.org/dry_cabinets

It ain't the heat, it's the humidity.

Ciao, tOM

On 25 May 2007 at 15:23,
Johann Thorsson <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I use this http://tinyurl.com/334nr6.

> > As the temp approaches 90 deg in New Eng and after observing black fuzzy
> hyphae on an acquaintance's lens he gave me to sell (stored in a basement)
> I'm thinking of more compulsively using something like this:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2garhq
> >

> > Wonder what is the best strategy and what others prefer. Suppose one could
> use anhydrous Ca sulfate "Drierite" which may be easier to regenerate,
> though may not be worth the hassle factor.
> >
> > Perhaps it is not necessary to keep everything "as dry as a dead dingo's
> donger" (if I remember the correct Oz expression), though can't hurt.
> >
> > Mike

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

tOM Trottier,