[OM] Re: Signing photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Signing photos
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 09:38:16 -0600
There are rules for signing works of art on paper, which includes
Photography. The signiture should be done in Pencil only outside the image
area (in the white border..print on big enough paper to allow this) right
under the lower right corner of the picture. If you used a type of paper
that will not work with pencil (eg, Glossy or pearl surfaces) then a
permananent marker like sharpie is ok. Pencil is preferred because pencil
will never, ever fade. All inks eventually will, but pencil will outlive any
photographic print or watercolor painting and will outlast many types of
drawings too.

The mat is cut a little larger than the image area so that the edges of the
image show and the signiture shows. I usually leave an extra 1/4 inch around
the top and sides, and 3/4 to one inch on the bottom to show the signiture.
A title can be written under the picture on the border under the right
corner if you wish...the mat cut as I describe will allow the title to show
as well.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design