[OM] Re: For battery bods

Subject: [OM] Re: For battery bods
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 21:19:16 +1000 (EST)
Hi Tim

Gee, and here I am trying to keep it simple :-)

Its an excellent descriptive piece of writing, you had me worried
you were going to start on the polymer barriers :o)

> Interesringly in lead acid batteries it is actually possible to completely
> reform the battery so positive plate becomes negative etc, if you
> reverse charge with an external source, but gas recombination does
> now not work properly at end of the (reverse) charge.

Lead acid batts are wonderful for reverse polorisation, I can
remember how every now and then I would get a batch of
caplamp batterys back from a mine site all reverse charged, with
a letter claiming returns for warranty. I'd always deny the
warranty returns but I would put the odd one on a constant
current charger to correct the polarity and use the caplamp
battery with my hand torch. Never had any problems with them
but then my Caplamp hand torch was rarely used to the extent
that miners would use caplamps underground.

Oldham all the way.

Preference was always to destroy them without attempting to
correctly charge them, no miner wants to get caught with a
dim light underground, not to mention mine safety.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

IT'S HERE AT LAST = Rush job. Nobody knew it was coming.