[OM] Re: Sigma 8mm Fisheye Questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Sigma 8mm Fisheye Questions
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 17:21:29 +1000
I have one of these - they are good fun.
1. Who nose? With 8mm in colour you get chroma effects on the rim in
sky areas so perhaps it was to mask that problem. It certainly cuts
off a lot. Nowadays, Photoshop does it better.
2. The lens 'breaks' into two parts (press the 'lock-Unlock' button
and twist) and the filters screw on to the back of the front set. The
'normal ' filter should always be in place if you are not using any
others. There is no 'drop-in' filter at all anywhere. If you want a
set, I have a spare set of Sigma 22.5mm filters - yellow, orange, red
and ND2 - yours for the postage.
3. The only reason I can think that it would not work with a 4T is
metering - many 8mm lenses really screw-up fancy averaged metering
systems because of all the black area around the edge. You get
serious overexposure or the system has a hissy fit. You really need
spot metering for a circular fish or a hand-held but often that
doesn't work properly either - no idea why. You aren't normally in a
rush or snapshotting with a fish so take a reading with the widest
lens you've got, note the numbers and then switch to the fish. Or
meter with a second camera or hand-held, whatever you have. Oh and
bracket.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx