[OM] Re: Good news!!

Subject: [OM] Re: Good news!!
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 18:48:32 -0600
Ali,

That's awesome! Is it your first exhibit?  I've been in a lot of them over
the years, starting when I was an art student, but the excitement of seeing
your work on the wall never diminishes no matter how long you do it or how
many exhibits you are in. I just had my first one in Santa Fe after moving
here from Indiana a year ago and it was great. Make sure you go to the
opening reception if they have one. You'll meet a lot of cool people there
and get a lot of feedback on your work from other artists and the art lovers
who make a habit of going to openings.

As for framing, it depends on what size prints you do. Are you doing 11x17
prints, or 11x17 frames?  I usually print my own with my old epson 2200
printer and mount the print on white museum board with white museum board
mat that I cut myself. Frame shops always make me mad every time I go in
one. They charge a fortune for shoddy work. I got tired of that fast and
bought a good mat cutter (Logan 700SGM, now replaced by the logan 750) and
practiced till I could produce flawless mats. I am a lot better than the
professional framer and I think most anyone can be with a good mat cutter
and some practice. Its not really hard to do, just kinda labor intensive.

For frames I use black metal Neilsen frames. Www.americanframe.com sells
them cheap. Neilsen are the best metal frames and they're expensive at frame
shops or art supply stores but can be bought cheap online ($15 each is about
what an 11x17 frame costs online, stores charge about $35). If you don't
want to do matting, get a frame shop to do it but buy the frame online and
assemble it yourself...they're easy to put together. You'll save a lot of
money that way and get results at least as good as paying the inflated price
the frame shop wants for the frame plus what they charge to put it all
together!

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design