[OM] Re: [photos] Stevens Glen

Subject: [OM] Re: [photos] Stevens Glen
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 22:21:04 -0400
Moose wrote:

> I agree with Chuck and your local adviser. Mostly I think it's just a
> better composition. #2 also shows the deep, steep, narrow quality of the
> gorge much better for me.

Thanks for your detailed feedback.  I leaned a bit more toward number 2
than 3 and so far, most agree.  As I mentioned earlier, an even wider
lens might have added more drama. It was the first time I wish I had a
ZD 7-14mm or a 11-22mm to experiment with.

> But also, as presented, much of #3 just doesn't look sharp, the moss on
> the left and a large, shield shaped rock at the top in particular. I
> suspect the moss is simply so wet and smooth that it can't look sharp.
> I've had the same problem with wet fur on an Otter.

Yes, everything was quite wet from the spray of the falls as well as
from an early morning rain.

> I'm also one of those people who aren't that wild about the long
> exposure look of flowing water. I don't hate it, but see more of it than
> I would like, so I probably like it as an important element of #2, but a
> smaller part of the total image.

I'm drawn to the look of long exposure flowing water due to what I
perceive as an ethereal quality though I'm aware it's a much used effect.

> I've gone a bit overboard here for the rocks, but like the water. I
> think the finished product will have the same water with less sharpened
> rocks.

http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020429-30_01.htm

I really like this image... it is so you.  I've seen this style
presented in many of your images.  It looks like a painting on canvas.
The sharpening on the rocks doesn't bother me and I like the motion
captured in the water as well as the composition.

> And if you don't look quick enough, you miss the water sprites.  :-)
> http://galleries.moosemystic.net/SteepFalls/pages/6-Water%20Sprite.htm

This one didn't do much for me though I feel it is well done.

Richard
--
Nature's Luminance
http://bcn.net/~rlovison/index.html