[OM] Re: [photos] Stevens Glen

Subject: [OM] Re: [photos] Stevens Glen
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 15:30:38 -0700
Richard Lovison wrote:
> Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>
>> Looks like you did it justice.  If you're still trying to pick I like
>> them all but I like 2 better than 3.
>>

> Thanks for your feedback Chuck.  My wife also likes 2 better than 3.

I agree with Chuck and your local adviser. Mostly I think it's just a
better composition. #2 also shows the deep, steep, narrow quality of the
gorge much better for me.

But also, as presented, much of #3 just doesn't look sharp, the moss on
the left and a large, shield shaped rock at the top in particular. I
suspect the moss is simply so wet and smooth that it can't look sharp.
I've had the same problem with wet fur on an Otter.

I'm also one of those people who aren't that wild about the long
exposure look of flowing water. I don't hate it, but see more of it than
I would like, so I probably like it as an important element of #2, but a
smaller part of the total image.

I like #1 a lot too. As above, #4 isn't really my style. Really lovely
subject and composition, I just prefer more water detail. In fact, I
like it better now, looking again, for the subject and composition. When
I first looked, I let my aversion to that sort of water image cloud my
vision. Maybe I need to take a few of those myself to try to understand
them better.

I've gone a bit overboard here for the rocks, but like the water. I
think the finished product will have the same water with less sharpened
rocks. http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Yosemite2ip/pages/020429-30_01.htm

And if you don't look quick enough, you miss the water sprites.  :-)
http://galleries.moosemystic.net/SteepFalls/pages/6-Water%20Sprite.htm
> That was the first time I wish I had something wider than 14mm.

14 mm on 4/3 is equivalent in horizontal coverage to 29 mm on 35 mm
format, not really all that wide.

Moose