[OM] Re: Olympus Six - to restore or not

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Six - to restore or not
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:53:08 -0400
David:
After careful study under good light, I got the shutter to fire. The
actuator under the shutter was bent and would not travel enough to fire
the shutter.

In other words the shutter was cocked, which is why the lever would not
return. However, the actuator doesn't always return completely after
firing, in which case the shutter locks again. Gently push it to the end
of its travel and the shutter can be cocked. Since it's an old camera,
the shutter release mechanism (which is quite basic)has some slack and
the total movement is not enough to fire the shutter. Basically - CLA
time, which is not surprising.

Anyway, at least I know that shutter, diaphragm and timer work. I
cleaned the rear element pair, which is now fine as in the front
element. Good basis to get repaired and recovered.

Martin