[OM] Olympus Six - to restore or not

Subject: [OM] Olympus Six - to restore or not
From: "Walters, Martin" <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:11:50 -0400
If the problematic Ace wasn't enough, I also won a job lot of cameras
which included an Oly Six, for not too much money.  Well they arrived
yesterday: the Oly Six is a Six 1 (the "black Six with the 75/4.5 lens),
a Waltax Okako and an SRT201, in a range of conditions, and largely as
expected.

Keeping at least sort of on-topic, I'll confine myself to the Oly Six.
Well, its intact and complete (e.g., bellows, flip-up finder etc), with
its case.  So far, I haven't opened it up, but the only obvious
mechanical issue is that I cannot cock the shutter (and I'm not forcing
the little lever).   However, the biggest disappointment (seller's photo
was taken with it in its case) was that all the leather (essentially
except for the top plate) has gone/been removed.  So, it's one sad
looking beast.

Now the question: In original condition, these cameras are quite
valuable. With the leather gone, it's clearly lost a lot of that value -
but how much?

I'm sure that I could get the camera recovered and fixed mechanically.
At the end, though, it would look nice, but would not be original. Is
this worthwhile, or should I just keep it and look elsewhere?

For the curious.  The Okako was known to be a basket case.  The bellows
rotten, flip-up viewfinder lens gone, leather starting to peel off, but
otherwise in one piece.  I don't think these cameras are particularly
valuable so I can see this one going in a drawer.  The SRT looks to be
pristine with a new case - likely be sold sometime.

Martin