[OM] Re: DOF question

Subject: [OM] Re: DOF question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 01:55:46 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I should probably let Ali reply but, once again, I think Ali is talking
> lens and sensor *quality*
And I addressed my reply to issues other than pure DOF that affect
apparent DOF - including lenses and sensor systems. I suppose nobody
read it all, and who can blame them, but it IS a complex area and all
those factors ARE significant.
>  and not size.
Nonetheless, this is a case where size does make a difference.  ;-) So
how is one to reply meaningfully without mentioning size?
> I assume that when he mentions Nikon and Canon that he's talking about
> sub-35mm size sensors.

As do I, but the APS sensors are a significantly different size than
4/3, and that affects DOF.

I also tried to answer what I thought was the real underlying question,
"Is my E-500 inferior to the other major small sensor cameras in DOF?" -
No - and affirm that the example image is, in fact, an example of good DOF.

Moose