[OM] Re: [OT] Computer question: Windows app transfer to new

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Computer question: Windows app transfer to new
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:50:41 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> This machine will replace my wife's machine and the new one will be
> networked to it.  Therefore, the old drive will always be available for
> access.  It also has the SCSI card for the film scanner.  XP doesn't
> like SCSI very much so I think I'll just leave the scanner attached on
> the Win 2K machine.

ASPI

I had trouble trying to get the older SCSI card that comes with the
FS2710 scanner going until I found ASPI, which instantly solved the problem.

The later Adaptec card that I got with the FS4000 is plug and play with
XP. I use SCSI regularly on my XP box with never a hiitch.
> The various apps people have suggested be used for transfer can move
> apps upstream from Win 2K to XP via wire and do take care of merging the
> registry data.  But there are exceptions like device drivers and a lot
> of things you might like not to move.

I'm in the same boat, mostly waiting to buy 'til I'm going to be home to
receive the box(es). There are a couple of utilities that move Win
settings, but not apps, including one that comes with Vista, it appears.
The LapLink one, PCMover, transfers EVERYTHING, no selection process.
I'm guessing that means not only all the older apps I may not need, but
all the barnacles and other accretions in my 4+ year old Registry.

The one Johnny mentioned, PC Relocater, seems to be more flexible,
although I think it is good for only one move, so I don't know what
happens if something goes wrong and one needs to start from scratch.
> I think I'll follow Tom's advice again and just reinstall as needed.

That's what I've done the last couple of times. It certainly works, and
I think it keeps things cleaner. I have found it tedious, as I am not
the best housekeeper and can't always easily find what I need to
reinstall things I've bought as downloads - or in come cases, even
remember what I have and/or how to use it.  :-) Man, there is a lot of
stuff on this machine! But like my basement, I can so often find just
what I need if I root around for a bit.

I would really like a selective transfer app that I can use initially
for stuff I know I want to move, then invoke on a case by case basis as
I want other things down the line. As before, I plan to keep the old
machine for some time*, probably for Carol Anne and on the network, so
everything is available.

The other thing I would like, but apparently won't get is either a
robust registry or a serious app to maintain the Registry without
becoming a Registry Geek. An old version of SystemWorks regularly
catches some crud, but clearly, thre is more built up over the years. PC
mag tests say none of them are complete. I tried System Mechanic on a
cheap offer. It seemed to work at first, then stopped scanning, would
just sit there doing nothing until I killed it.  Arequest to their
support elicited the suggestion to download a newly updated version and
promised to get back to me anyway.

They haven't gotten back to me in two weeks and the new version did
something that wouldn't even allow Win to finish booting. I had to go
into safe mode and restore to before the update. I'm not impressed.

Moose

* Who am I kidding? I've still got an Apple II+ and a Heathkit DIY XT
clone down in the basement somewhere. I do think I may have disposed of
one PC somewhere along the line.