[OM] Re: How to edit photo to remove haze?

Subject: [OM] Re: How to edit photo to remove haze?
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 14:25:38 -0500
> First you should use a haze filter to remove the excessively blue light
> at the time the photo is taken.

Thanks, Chuck. With the coming of digital, the whole idea of filters was
abandoned with the encouragement of many self-styled experts. The most
glaring example of bad thinking is the idea that a polarizer isn't necessary
anymore. If the information isn't there, or is badly obscured, all the
photoshopping isn't going to help, not to mention the time saved in post.

In this particular case, some if not most of the haze can be removed, but
the underlying detail will remain soft. It would look like fairly agressive
filtering would have been helpful. I would start with an 81A. Numbering
systems are not equal from manufacturer to manufacturer, so some study is
required.

I have never paid for a UV filter, but have some that came on lenses. I
don't use them. I start with a 1A "skylight" filter. From there I go to a 2A
or 81A. In cases requiring severe measures, I do have an 81EF, designed in
olden times to remove excess blue from, you guessed it, electronic flash.

Don't throw away those filters, Removal of unwanted things is always better
at time of capture.

Bill Pearce