[OM] Re: [OT] US taxes, was: [ot] alternative fuels

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] US taxes, was: [ot] alternative fuels
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 23:47:16 -0700
> From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> There is also enough of the word of mouth kind of story to indicate
> that there is also a lot of wink wink nudge nudge that goes on in IRS
> acceptance of underreporting of income that is considered capital
> gain... Different
> rules for different people.

And they REALLY don't like it when you have a sudden, large reduction
in income.

I dropped out of the rat race in '97, and have been audited EVERY
SINGLE YEAR since. I always beat it, until 2001, when Congress made a
one-time change in the way income averaging worked (to benefit 9/11
victims) that my tax software didn't catch. Sympathy for 9/11 victims
turned into a major tax liability for me, EVEN THOUGH I MADE **NO**
MONEY THAT YEAR, and the IRS were on me like pit bulls.

My experience with the IRS is one of many reasons I chose to leave
the US. Lots of people cheat on their taxes; I didn't. But the IRS
cheated on *my* taxes, as far as I'm concerned.

Did we mention they have their own extra-judicial court system?

:::: The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country.
-- George W. Bush ::::
:::: Jan Steinman <http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com> ::::