[OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth

Subject: [OM] Re: RAW Bit Depth
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 13:19:07 -0500
>I just recently discovered that the Leica M8 RAW file has a bit depth
> of only 8 bits unlike the 12 to 14 other makers have. Doesn't that
> just about kill the main advantage of RAW over a very high quality
> JPEG format, or TIFF?

It may make one reconsider the amount of manipulation that is done to the
original file. You would do well to carefully consider each step that would
affect color. I would think that it would make for less ideal results using
HDR, although the kind of stuff usually shot with a RF probably doesn't
include that sort of thing.

If you are printing, it may or may not. The more sophisticated pigment ink
printers are capable of accepting 16 bit files, but some printers like the
Durst that used to reside in your town and is now in mine, only take 8 bit
srgb files anyway. (the results are stunning, despite that limitation)
Presuming minimal color manipulation, it should be ok.

My question is why? Isn't the E1 a 12 bit file? What about the old Kodak FF
cameras?

Bill Pearce