[OM] Re: Zuikos on the Cannon 5D: cross-split screen

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuikos on the Cannon 5D: cross-split screen
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 20:02:13 -0400
  Found this post from the manufacturer regarding his custom screens.
 Would be happier if Katzeye had one.
 Mike

  "Thanks for some friend's inquiry though PM shows you interest. In order to
share the info with ur guys, I like to answer the questions here:
 1) What is it?
 This focusing screen is a split image, microprism and high brightness. It is a
laser matte screen with a split image circle and a microprism collar, which is
very similar to the focusing screen on many film cameras.
 2) Why we need it for a DSLR?
 For most of the Dslrs, it is difficult to achieve a manual focus with the
original screen from Manufacturer because of no focus aid like split prism
found in most of the film SLRs. It is a big problem for the people have big
investment in legacy lens or want to do a perfect macro job. With this screen,
you can do a perfect macro job with MF, or utilize your investment in Lecai
lens, Zeiss lens, even and even Hasselblad lens, or some very cheap legacy
lens. Of course len-to-XXX Adapter is a must for legacy lens.

 It can also help you to judge the AF as more and more out of focus issues are
arising for Dslrs. With this screen, you can easily judge whether it is correct
when the auto focus is confirmed. If not you can focus again.

 3) Will I still see the AF points in the viewfinder after installation? Is AF
affected?
 for 20D, 30D and 5D :
 All AF points will still show in the viewfinder and all AF functions are as
usual.
 for the rest of the model:
 The little red AF point in the viewfinder will not show. But the lack of the
indicator dots has no effect on the camera's AF function as the AF points are
duplicated on the camera - the LCD on the back will allow you to select your
focusing point and the green light in the viewfinder will blink for focus
confirmation.

 4) Any impact to the metering?
 In evaluative mode, the metering appears largely unaffected. But in other
modes the screens seem to show a slight effect on metering, it appears to cause
a 1/3 f-stop to 1 f-stop overexposure depends on the metering mode, but it can
be easily corrected through camera's exposure compensation function. Thus
evaluative mode is highly recommended.

 5) How to install the screen?
 Installation is easy, but it does require care. A step-by-step instructions
will be provided.

 6) Why select us?
 We started to manufacture Custom Made Split Focusing Screen from year 2004 and
all products are made from branded split focusing screen and using CNC(Computer
Numerical Control) machine.(Precision of a machine is 0.01mm). We offer the
best quality products at affordable price if you compare our products with
USD80(USD 72+8=SGD132) handmade products or USD125(USD105+20=SGD206) expensive
products in US.

 7) Why price is adjusted for some old products?
 Focusing Screen is a precision optical component and continued improvement is
needed, so we redesign the products and this is new generation of products now,
also all our products are using CNC(Computer Numerical Control) machine to
manufacture, and additional parts like customized Metal Shim will be provided
to get best result, hence more manufacturing cost are occurred, hope your guy
can understand".

AOL at AOL.com.