[OM] ( OM) OT question re XP

Subject: [OM] ( OM) OT question re XP
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 15:27:02 +1200
Hello all,

I'd like a bit of assistance if I may, from XP users.

I got so fed up with the continued involvement of Symantec Nortons in the
affairs of my "new" machine even though I had disabled all the processes it
runs, that today I decided to uninstall it.  The disablements were only
partially successful.

Even that is not a simple process, as components you want to install WILL
NOT uninstall; the command comes out that they are fundamental to other
processes that have to be run ... ... ...

AND, XP squirrels away processes that auto-run, in all kinds of unlikely
places.

I tried saving Ghost on a functioning form but I was not cunning enough and
what I have left does not work :-((          Should have stored it on a CD.

HOWEVER, to come to my question; despite killing off all this stuff, there is
STILL one process that insists on running every time I connect to the
internet, and the only way I have found to stop it is pull the plug.

It does not show on any of the monitors I have to show running processes,
and I have a suspicion that it doesn't even have to run though my ISP.

My up-to-date Lavasoft, and AVG show the place is squeaky clean  ??

Here is a jpg of a very small part of a screen dump I did,

http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/temp/process.jpg

and it shows as a yellow shield ( as in hand-to-hand combat) in the task-bar.
You can see the connection lights were all showing when I hit <Prt Screen>
to capture the screen display for  pasting in any image processor. Well,
nearly any - PS 7 would not co-operate. Irfanview did just fine. Nice program,
that.

Can somebody please provide enlightenment in this annoying matter.

I hate computer processes going on that I don't understand and agree with.

Brian