[OM] Re: Loving Video Now dialects

Subject: [OM] Re: Loving Video Now dialects
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 09:14:38 -0400
On Mon April 2 2007 6:06 am, Phil wrote:
> So how many recognisable dialects are there in the USA, I can only spot,
> deep Southern, New York and what I call normal American,

You've left out the various New England accents. I've gotten directions in
Massachusetts that I knew I had no hope of translating into written road
signs.

Even across  New York State (by New York I assume you mean NYC.) there are
ways of speaking that I don't know if I would call them accents but they are
word choices that will identify which end of upstate NY you are from . West
of about Geneva, NY (half way between Rochester AND Syracuse) the carbonated
drink that comes in a bottle or can is called pop and not soda. The other one
that I really notice is when you hear someone talking about a numbered route
such as I90. In the Buffalo area (I'm not sure how far east it comes) they
refer to the routes with a "the" in front of them. It's the 90 is backed up,
the 190 is moving slow or take the 33 to downtown. In my area(Syracuse) it's
690 is a slow go because they are still erecting barriers.