[OM] Re: CF Card Shootout

Subject: [OM] Re: CF Card Shootout
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 21:45:16 -0400
Sorry, but I just don't buy it.  A certain amount of bent bits in the
middle of an image file could very likely go unnoticed.  Enough bent
bits to be noticeable in the image data itself would be, well...
noticeable.  But if there are enough bent bits in the image data to be
noticeable there are likely an equivalent proportion of bent bits in the
non image data as well.

What that means is that visible corruption on the card's image data will
eventually show as bad bits in the EXIF and the FAT as well.  It might
take a while to notice the EXIF errors but the FAT data errors won't
take long to become noticeable in a very unfriendly way.

If you have funny looking images you need to look elsewhere for the
cause.  I'll bet you can read the images off that card into your hard
drive, write them back and do a bit for bit compare and do that until
the cows come home and you won't find a single bit error on any of the
cards you use.

Chuck Norcutt