[OM] Re: Superwide lenses - advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Superwide lenses - advice
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 13:53:35 -0800
> From: "Walters, Martin" <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I have a OMZ 21mm, which is fun to use, but needs reasonably careful
> composition to avoid strange effects around the edges.  I've never
> used
> a 17 or 18mm superwide, so what does the extra 3-4mm of FL give you -
> both good and bad?

It's All Good. (TM)

Once you have the super-wide bug, you lust after every millimeter,
and you either get used to "strange effects" or the extra attention
becomes natural.

The SOLE reason I stuck with Olympus into the digital world was the
existence of the superb 7-14/4 super-wide zoom. I generally use it as
a fixed-focal-length 7mm lens, which gives the equivalent field of
view of a 14mm lens.

The Zuiko 18mm will change the way you think about photography... or
not. (Some folk "get" super wide, and others don't care to or never
put the effort into it.)

One great fun thing is "grab shots". Once you get a good feel for the
angle-of-view, you can just hold your camera in an approximate
location and get *something* of interest.

Lots more I could say, but I'm camped on the wifi at an Apple Store
at the moment...

> (given the price of an OMZ 18mm, I would likely be looking at a
> Tamron).

I've never heard a bad thing about super-wide Zuikos. The Tamron may
be okay, but I'd hold out for the Zuiko.

:::: Jan Steinman, Communication Steward, EcoReality: http://
www.EcoReality.org ::::
:::: 160 Sharp Road, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2P6, Canada,
250.537.2024 ::::