[OM] OT but Photo related

Subject: [OM] OT but Photo related
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 08:04:42 -0400
I was in the Subway sub shop on Transit road in Williansville NY(Amherst,
Lancaster or what ever the address really is there, a Buffalo suburb any way)
on Tuesday. On the wall they had this group of four photos of vegetables
which were about 2 by 4 foot. This is standard type of stuff for a chain food
place except for the fact that when I first saw them I couldn't decide if
they were some poor attempt at an impressionistic type painting or a photo
with really bad JPEG artifacts. If you looked at them closely you could see
the jagged curves that result from blowing a low resolution photo up too much
and poorly. I never did decide if the producer and buyer of these images; a)
had done it on purpose and thought that this was artistic, or B) didn't know
any different. If B, has the public's standards gone down so much that
something that wouldn't have passed as a snap shot 5 years ago is now
considered good?