[OM] Re: [OT] Graphics card recommendation for XP system

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Graphics card recommendation for XP system
From: "Bart Wientjes" <bartjew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:08:51 +0200
Another player is Matrox. It has been a favourite for non-3d
applications for years.
I'm not sure if they are ahead of the competition on performance, but
they do have a sweet set of software and drivers available for their
cards.

This has given me two advantages, which could come in handy for others as well:
Firstly, the Matrox drivers let you completely adjust the signal that
is controlling your monitor. I found this usefull when I used a CRT
that had no drivers for any version of Windows (because the screen
came with a Silicon Graphics UNIX workstation).
The second advantage is that the Matrox cards let you define a
different refresh rates for each screen in a multi-screen setup. This
is mainly of interest if you are using one or two CRTs.

A more general tip:
If you are using LCDs or other digital screens, DO hook your screen up
to a DVI port.  Forget about the analogue signal, it delivers poor
quality.
So if you suspect going to dual TFT in the future, consider a graphics
card with two DVI ports.

Regards,
Bart