[OM] Re: OM system lenses on digital bodies

Subject: [OM] Re: OM system lenses on digital bodies
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:46:52 -0700
John Morton wrote:
> Hi, Everyone;
>
>   Please correct me if I am wrong; but in reading the posts from this
> discussion group since joining recently, I have begun to form the opinion
> that it is possible to use OM system lenses on some digital camera bodies.
>
>   Could this be, or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

It is true. The only two DSLR mounts for which this is true are 4/3,
Olympus and Panasonic and EF, Canyon.

Inexpensive adapters are available for both mounts.

There are certain limitations:

- Aperture operation is manual. You open up the aperture to focus and
close it to shooting aperture to meter and shoot.

- Metering is imperfect, and the ways in which it is off vary by body,
metering mode and lens. For many subjects, this isn't much bother with
digital, as one may take experimental shots to get exposure right
without any cost other than time.

Here is one example I did some time ago
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/300D/300Dexp.jpg>. In a more
extreme case, the 5D used with mirror tele lenses is about three stops
off, depending on metering mode.

Many people on the list are happily using OM lenses on Oly and Canyon
DLSR bodies.

Moose