[OM] Re: Oops - SP-550 UZ review at dpreview

Subject: [OM] Re: Oops - SP-550 UZ review at dpreview
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 05:51:05 -0500
On 3/27/07, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ScottGee1 wrote:
>
> > I've been watching the P@n@son!c DMC line for a while, hoping they'd
> > tame the noise issues.  It looks like they may have finally done it:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/yodv4r
> >
> > I really like the 16:9 aspect ratio.  I think it's unique to this
> > series of digicams.
> >
> It's a crop, you know, 6.2 mp. It's a non-standard size sensor with 7.7
> usable mp that is cropped to 7.1 mp for 4:3, 6.9 mp for 3:2 and 6.2 mp
> for 16:9. Nothing wrong with that, I just thought it was interesting.
>
> I'll believe the noise/detail issues are solved when I see samples. The
> Venus III engine that PP touts has been the deserved recipient of some
> dissing by Simon at dpreview. Take a look at the FZ7 (Venus II) vs. FZ8
> comparisons through iso 400 at dpreview. I'd much prefer the noisier FZ7
> versions than the smeared detail of the FZ8. At least then I could make
> my own trade-off of noise and detail
> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/page7.asp>. &
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/page12.asp

Hmmm . . . I see your point -- literally!  When the dpreview review of
the TZ3 is published it'll be interesting to see how consistent the
performance of the Venus III is.  I can hope but I be they use the
same algorithms.  Then again, if the sensor is different . . .

> I'm also concerned about low contrast detail. The TZ1 had a real problem
> with this, see the bottom of this page
> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz1/page3.asp>. I think PP's
> testing with high contrast targets may understate the practical effect
> of the noise reduction. Dpreview has just introduced what is meant to be
> a standardized test of this with the 550 review. You can see the
> destructive effect of NR at the bottom of this page
> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympussp550uz/page7.asp>.

dpreview really is doing a good job with analysis, adapting and
improving constantly.

> > Unfortunately, the optical VF is AWOL again, but that 'feature' seems
> > to be vanishing from a lot of P&Ss.
> >
> Now that would be a REAL trick, a 10x zoom VF for three different
> formats!  :-) At least Panny still shows the whole frame on the LCD. Oly
> has even given that up on the 550.
>
> I hope I'm wrong, both because the TZ2 & 3 would be very interesting
> cameras (I'd take lower noise/NR in trade for the lower MP of the 2.)
> and because Oly seems married to Panny sensors.

Yeah, I hope my hope is correct and my skepticism wrong, but . . .
well, we'll see.

Thanks for the insights!

ScottGee1