[OM] Re: [photo] snow scene - more thoughts

Subject: [OM] Re: [photo] snow scene - more thoughts
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 01:58:49 -0700
Richard Lovison wrote:

> Working with this image reminds me of Ken's post "Grain in a grainless
> world".  I often find myself caught in that trap of "wanting to have
> perfectly clean, noiseless, grainless images", and in this case, of
> fretting over the fact that there is virtually no detail or granulation
> in the snow
Completely aside from the artistic merits of the image and from the
issues you raise, I have a technical comment. Usually when I post a
different version of an image, it's to show my different vision of it.
Here, I make no claim to the alternate being better, or even as good as,
the image as presented. In fact, it's rather rough, but it does show
that there is actually quite a lot of detail and granulation in the snow
available in the image. It shows distinct artifacts from JPEG
compression of already compressed highlight detail, but indicates that
working with the original could reveal quite a lot of highlight detail,
if desired <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Lovison/latesnow.htm>.
> and quite a bit of noise in the bottom of the stream before
> processing due to shooting at ISO 800.  Struggling within that trap, I
> lost contact with what drew me to the image in the first place.  I am
> keenly aware of the feeling that comes over me when I "see" something in
> nature I wish to capture photographically.  I am not always aware of
> "why" it moves me.

If I knew too much of the "why", I think the magic would be gone.

Moose