[OM] Re: Ultimate cheap macro -- take 2 (much cheaper, even more macro-y

Subject: [OM] Re: Ultimate cheap macro -- take 2 (much cheaper, even more macro-y)
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:15:13 -0800
>> Great shots Dan.
>>
>  Thanks!
>
>> 1. What did you use as a lighting source?
>> 2. What are you using for a focusing rail?
>
>  Same as the previous "ultimate cheap macro" -- lighting = builtin
>flash on E-330, macro rail = my hands. That's why it's a cheap _studio_,
>there's no extra kit involved, and digital lets me take a lot of shots
>and ditch the ones which aren't quite what I wanted.
>
>> My mounting scheme for the reverse mounted elgeet's was to mount the lens on
>> the
>> female side of metal filter cap, 49mm.  I then screw that onto a reverse
>> adapter.  Not quite as cheap as your approach.  It does have two advantages:
>> you
>> can put the male part of the filter cap onto the setup to protect the front
>> element of the lens and you can insert a color light balance filter into the
>> rig.
>
>  Ah, that's a neat trick too. When I have more confidence in my ability
>to a:drill a hole reliably and b:find the center of a circle accurately,
>I'll remember that one. I don't think there's any way to do this that
>doesn't sacrifice _something_, but 49mm filter caps can be generic
>brand, and if you have a reversing adapter it probably is cheaper overall.
>
>  -- dan

HAND HELD????  -- Even after giving up coffee I couldn't do that.  With steady
hands like that we need to sign you up for the Olympic shooting team - Oly
division of course.

Finding the center is easy, hardware stores sell the beasties to do that.
Drilling the hole - I started small then used a hand reamer.

One thing I didn't mention was I had to reduce the thickness of the cap where
the lens was reversed with a dremel tool so I could get enough of the Elgeet's
threads revealed to screw on its filter ring.  That took time and is messy with
all of the slivers of aluminum flying around.

But lest I lead you into thinking that my workmanship it top notch, let me tell
you that (unfortunately) my motto is:
Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut it with an axe.

Jay - who's mechanical workmanship and photography skill still need a whole lot
of work.