[OM] Re: Ultimate cheap macro -- take 2 (much cheaper, even more macro-y

Subject: [OM] Re: Ultimate cheap macro -- take 2 (much cheaper, even more macro-y)
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:00:35 -0600
> Great shots Dan.

  Thanks!

> 1. What did you use as a lighting source?
> 2. What are you using for a focusing rail?

  Same as the previous "ultimate cheap macro" -- lighting = builtin
flash on E-330, macro rail = my hands. That's why it's a cheap _studio_,
there's no extra kit involved, and digital lets me take a lot of shots
and ditch the ones which aren't quite what I wanted.

> My mounting scheme for the reverse mounted elgeet's was to mount the lens on
> the
> female side of metal filter cap, 49mm.  I then screw that onto a reverse
> adapter.  Not quite as cheap as your approach.  It does have two advantages:
> you
> can put the male part of the filter cap onto the setup to protect the front
> element of the lens and you can insert a color light balance filter into the
> rig.

  Ah, that's a neat trick too. When I have more confidence in my ability
to a:drill a hole reliably and b:find the center of a circle accurately,
I'll remember that one. I don't think there's any way to do this that
doesn't sacrifice _something_, but 49mm filter caps can be generic
brand, and if you have a reversing adapter it probably is cheaper overall.

  -- dan