[OM] Re: Epson V-700 vs Canon 2710

Subject: [OM] Re: Epson V-700 vs Canon 2710
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 03:32:46 -0800
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Pretty darn close to the best dedicated film scanners.  Check the very
> detailed reviews here to see for yourself.  Caution, there's lots of
> data here.  Maybe Moose (who has previously digested all of this) will
> chime in with his top 1 or 2 picks.  I'll be listening too since I'll
> probably be buying a new scanner this year sometime.
> <http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/scanners_page.htm>
>
> Chuck Norcutt
>
> John Gettis wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone had used both of these. I was interested in
>> wether or not the v-700 was as good as some of the dedicated film scanners.
>> as those are getting harder to come by.

My first scanner was a Canon FS2710. It's is quite a good scanner, in my
experience. I later went to an FS4000, about as much for the auto
scanning of all the frames in a holder and the IR dust removal
capability as for the extra resolution.

My experience rescanning some film with the higher resolution is that it
makes only very subtle differences with all but recent films with
smaller grain and better resolution. And even at that, only if printing
really big or cropping a lot.

I have not used any of the newer flat bed scanners. I have read the
photo-i reviews carefully. They are especially useful for many reasons,
not the least of which is the comparison of scans of the same slide
between the reviewed scanners and a Coolscan 4000. My personal
conclusion, based on my experience of the difference between 2720 dpi
and 4000 dpi in film scans and the samples in the reviews, is that I
would, if I were buying a scanner now, buy a Canon 9950F.

The image differences between it and the Epson 4990, V700 and V750 are
so small I just don't think they will make a difference in practical
use. The V series are more expensive. The 4990 may be faster with dust
removal off, but the Canon dust removal is much faster and just as
effective. The speed stuff isn't definitive, not enough hard info.

Also, the 9950F will handle 12 slides or 5 strips of up to 6 frames at
once, while the 4990 is 8 slides or 4 strips and the V series are 12
slides or 4 strips.

Your needs or experience may be different. The 9950 is waiting in my B&H
wishlist. If I didn't have the FS4000, I'd have bought a 9950F long ago.

Moose